Call 7 days a week from 8am to midnight.   |   305-823-6991

Tankless 101: When should I consider getting one?

Section 1: What is a tankless water heater?

Section 2: Why should I care?

Section 3: When should I consider using one?

If you have very unhappy, very stinky people roaming around your house, looking like an episode of The Walking Dead because they refuse to take a cold shower, it's time to buy a tankless water heater! The sooner the better as far as we're concerned but really, the choice is totally yours of course. Here are some of the reasons other people buy water heaters for their homes and when.

New construction:

Accounts for about 20% of all water heaters sales in the USA. If you think about it, there is really no better time to consider buying a tankless system. Properly planning the installation of your tankless water heater is crucial to it's performance and longevity (as discussed in our "Before You Buy" section) and everyone loves a clean slate to work with. That said, new construction accounts for "only" 20% so NEVER FEAR, you can install a tankless system in your existing home, apartment or condo easily if you are part of the other 80%.

Poor performance:

On the other side of the spectrum, makes up another 20% of the people that buy water heaters. If you are experiencing trouble with your current heater such as leaks, corrosion, inadequate heating capacity, or simply running out of hot water before the end of your shower, you should definitely consider buying a new tankless water heater now. If you've run out of hot water when it's your turn to take a shower, the you understand the importance of having an endless supply of it! Tankless water heaters will provide that for you. No matter how many teenagers you have in your home, a tankless water heater will supply hot water for as long as you need it.

Planned replacement:

Much to our surprise, accounts for 30% of all heater purchases in the United States! That means that 30% of the people who buy water heaters do so in advance of any failures simply because the life of the heater has run it's course. 30 PERCENT? There are quite a bit of forward thinkers out there! WOW. (applause). If you are reading this and you are one of these people then most of what is covered in the "Why should I care?" section should strike a particular chord with you.

Complete failure:

Rounds out the remaining 30%. These are the procrastinators in the bunch. It's not surprising if you think about it.  Think about it, how often do you give your water heater any thoughts at all? Have you ever spoken the words, "Thank you water heater, for your many many years of dedicated service and unwavering commitment to the cause of my hot shower." Nooo! If you said yes, you're lying! The truth is that there are quite a few people who are taken by surprise when they suddenly are forced to take a cold shower or no shower at all because of a water heater failure. Some may love taking a cold shower, but most people don't. Typically when this happens in your home, you are one of the very unhappy, very stinky people mentioned above

Section 4: How do I know which one is best for my home?